Overview By  Anton Kryshtal
Normal +1 206 16 Sept 2023
Normal +1

Women in Crypto: From Leaders to Users

By  Anton Kryshtal 206 16 Sept 2023
Photo - Women in Crypto: From Leaders to Users

Analytical company Forex Suggest has released a report on women's involvement in the crypto sector, spanning from top executive roles and influencers right down to regular users.

Much like many conventional businesses, crypto ventures strive to foster equal opportunities for all professionals, regardless of gender disparities. Efforts include creating programs that encourage active involvement and career progression among underrepresented groups, notably women. However, the findings indicate a pronounced gender imbalance within the cryptocurrency sector at almost every level.

Chief Executive Officers

Among the fifty leading CEOs in renowned cryptocurrency firms, there's a stark gender imbalance: 94% of these roles are held by men, leaving only 6% to women. This discrepancy could be due to women not pursuing these top-tier roles or possibly facing barriers to such opportunities. Only three distinguished women CEOs are highlighted in Forex Suggest's ranking:

1. Ola Doudin, an Electronic Engineering graduate from the University of Birmingham in 2008. She co-founded and now leads the Dubai-based cryptocurrency exchange, BitOasis. She's ranked 15th.

2. Ambre Soubiran, who completed her master's in Applied Mathematics at Paris-Dauphine University in 2010. Formerly with HSBC, Ambre now heads the blockchain analytics company, Kaiko. She holds the 34th position on the list.

3. Simone Maini, an alumnus of the University of Cambridge with a degree in history. Having previously worked at Deutsche Bank and Kroll, she currently helms Elliptic, a blockchain service firm, and is 40th on the list.

Most Notable Women CEOs. Source: Forex Suggest's Official Website.

Most Notable Women CEOs. Source: Forex Suggest's Official Website.

Other Leadership Positions

In other executive capacities, women have a slightly better representation, making up 22.39% of 259 assessed roles. This means that for every four top managerial roles, one is held by a woman. Chainalysis (46.15%), BitOasis (42.86%), and Coinbase (33.33%) have the most significant female presence in such positions. 

Opinion Leaders

In the crypto realm, the major social impact comes not from company heads but from influencers. Forex Suggest assessed and spotlighted the top fifty most influential figures within the crypto domain to discern the gender balance. Predictably, Elon Musk stands at the apex, with his sponsored tweets potentially being valued at around $1.49 million.

However, the list includes a mere seven women. For example, Layah Heilpern, an author and participant in crypto-related podcasts, claims the 29th position, with her promotional tweets reportedly valued near $6,000. Wendy O, ranking second among women and thirty-eighth in the overall list, steers a cryptocurrency-focused YouTube channel, shedding light on blockchain and Web3 developments.

Users

Emerging economies, notably Vietnam, Indonesia, Kenya, and Colombia, display a more gender-balanced approach to cryptocurrencies. In these countries, women account for roughly 40% of the cryptocurrency user base.

The crypto community in countries showing a balanced gender perspective. Source: Forex Suggest's Official Website.

The crypto community in countries showing a balanced gender perspective. Source: Forex Suggest's Official Website.

When juxtaposed with their total populations, Vietnam emerges with the lion's share of female crypto aficionados, representing 24.4%. Following closely are the Philippines at 9.64% and India at 9.18%. Such statistics can be perceived as moderately positive, given the burgeoning appeal of cryptocurrencies amid a murky regulatory backdrop.

Final Words

Evidently, women find themselves notably underrepresented at the upper echelons and among opinion leaders. However, their presence is somewhat more visible in middle management roles. This disparity doesn't inherently suggest intentional bias. Instead, women should perceive this as a realm of untapped opportunities and encourage corporations to be more proactive in this avenue.